For many people, it's not easy to start the conversation. Some people rely on nonverbal ways to do it. Others assume that no mention of status at all is actually a way of disclosing. But most people say that the best way is to be direct.
- Before we jump in bed, I want you to know that I'm negative. Are you positive or negative?
- Your bio says that you're positive; I'm negative. So, if we fuck we'll have to use condoms. Is that OK with you?
- Earlier at the club you said that you didn't know anyone that has HIV. So it doesn't get too awkward later, I want you to know that I'm positive.
- It seemed like bringing up HIV when we were fooling around was going to ruin it. Since we didn't fuck, that was OK. I hope we can get together again and I wanted you to know that I just tested negative and haven't had risky sex with anyone since.
- It always feels awkward bringing this up, but I see the potential of this
going somewhere and I want us to be up front and honest with each other about the kinds of sex we've had since the last time we got tested.
The full article is here: it's a great read!